Saturday 16 June 2012

Father's day card using my sketch.

You may know already I follow Leslie's blog, well, I sketched one of Leslie's furry visitors from her garden a few weeks ago from her photos.

This wasn't the cute four legged ones you'd expect in her garden either. But this appealed to me.

I had this image coloured up for over a week now, but I never got around to making it into a card until today.

Although it has flowers on it, I think it's more "garden" and not so much "girly", so I decided it would make a good card for father's day, after all I've always thought.....
"My Dad's the bee's knees" since I was a wee girl, (and that wasn't yesterday) lol.

I coloured the image with watercolour, but felt I struggled colouring the wings, something didn't click, I had used a pale blue wash on them to reflect the sky, it just didn't look right though.
Then I remembered, wings are semi transparent, so I added a touch of the body colour through the vein pattern, and suddenly they came alive.
Though I don't think it shows up in the photo, I also burnished the wings with a colourless blender pencil this polished and added a sheen to them too, and made them more like the real thing.
I was going to "bee" clever and think of a saying for the front, but in the end, I decided " too cheesy" and just stamped "No 1 Dad" instead.

I've been busy with another project now for a couple of weeks.....

Sorry if I'm teasing, but my lips are sealed just for a wee while more, but I promise to let you see it soon.

If you liked this card and would like the bumble bee sketch to use for your own cards, feel free to use the sketch below.
Let me know what you think.

Enjoy the remainder of the weekend, and thanks for visiting.

Alexandra

2 comments:

  1. You do such a beautiful job with not only your sketching, but your coloring, too. It's so realistic. Especially the bee. I believe I could touch him and feel his fuzzy bee body. Outstanding, Alexandra! And, again, thank you for sharing the sketch!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting here. I hope you enjoy your visit.
I love hearing from you, and your comments are much appreciated.